BBC Media Action is the international development charity of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), working in over 25 countries across the world. BBC Media Action works in partnership with local media agencies, civil society organisations, and governments to achieve long term development goals. We produce creative media content to inform and engage audiences, and strengthen the media sector by building professional skills and technical capacity.
This is your chance to be part of. the world's most trusted broadcaster and join a team committed to producing creative, quality, development-driven programmes. BBC Media Action, the international charity arm of the BBC, is seeking talented professionals with the right experience to join our Nigeria team as we launch exciting new projects in 2014 and 2015.
Finance Resource Officer
Assist the Head of Finance in ensuring proper management of BBC Media Action's assets, support all procurement processes and support the daily activities of the Finance Department.
- Reconciliation of advances.
- Report any delinquent advances and ensure that all retired advances have the necessary support documentation.
- Update the assets register monthly.
- Ensure safe keeping of all BBC Media Action fixed and movable assets
- Reconciliation of all prepayments
- Regular update of the assets movement register
- Support all procurement processes.
- Making sure that there is enough cash for disbursement for project activities.
- Cash withdrawal from banks
- Make sure that all files and physical records are properly arranged in the finance office
- Cross check all postings by the finance assistant to make sure they are posted to the right sap codes.
- Supervise and assist the finance assistant is disbursing cash on the field or in the office when needed.
- Prepare supporting documents for audit
- Request for needed equipments and stationeries for the finance office
- Perform any other accounting and financial tasks as may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience required
- First Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration or in related field.
- Considerable working experience in the Finance or Procurement department of a reputable international NGO.
- Progressive working experience in budgeting and financial management systems;
- Experience in donorfunded projects;
- Demonstrate good judgment and sound financial 'common sense';
- Ability to communicate accounting and financial information clearly and concisely;
- Proven ability to manage procurement/asset processes.
- Proficiency in MIS Office programmes;
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Energetic and personable;
- Possess friendly and service-oriented personality;
- Maintain composure under intense pressure while working to meet deadlines;
KEY COMPETENCIES FOR THE POSITION
- The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Analytical thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into
- component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically.
- Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-salving and/or development.
- Strategic thinking: Can identify a vision along with the plans that need to be implemented to meet the end goal.
- Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Decision-making: Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made .
- Imagination/Creative thinking: Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Planning and organisation: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and
- appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into
- account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources
- Resilience: Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an
- approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to
- convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Managing relationships and team working: Aable to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please send in their application/cover letter with a capability statement stating their capability for the job, as well as a detailed curriculum vitae (word document please) with names and addresses of at least 2 professional referees (including their telepone, fax and email addresses) notiater than 26th May, 2015 to the email addresses corresponding to the position applied for clearly stated on the application letter.