The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is implementing three European Union funded projects in Nigeria:
- Support to the Justice Sector in Nigeria;
- Support to Anti-Corruption in Nigeria; and
- Response to Drugs and Related Organized Crime in Nigeria.
Through these projects, UNODC is supporting the Government of Nigeria to strengthen the rule of law and human security, in line with the international treaties against drugs, crime and terrorism.
To improve visibility for these projects, UNODC is required to develop and launch a website for each of the three projects. UNODC is now seeking the services of a consultant website designer to design a website that will provide timely information to the public on project activities and highlight the achievements of the three projects as well as improving the visibility of the European Union as funder of the projects
NATIONAL CONSULTANT - WEBSITE DESIGNER FOR UNODC PROJECTS
Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of the Assignment:
The purpose of this consultancy is to develop a website for each of three European Union funded projects implemented by UNODC in Nigeria:
- (i) Response to Drugs and Related Organized Crime in Nigeria;
- (ii) Support to the Justice Sector in Nigeria;
- (iii) Support to Anti-Corruption in Nigeria.
Specific tasks to be performed by the consultant
Under the direct supervision of the Outreach and Communication Officer and in coordination with the project teams, the consultant will design a website for the three projects with appropriate user interface, ensuring that all design elements and templates work within a variety of browser types and screen settings.
The consultant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Design and launch three websites, based on UNODCís requirements, using a web content management system that will be easy to use for a variety of purposes, including search engine, social media applications interface, mobile internet use, creation of additional web pages, etc.;
- Upon design and launch of the websites, train selected staff to update the website contents using applicable tools;
- Create web linkage to the project Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media pages, as well as to the websites of UNODC, European Commission and in-country project partners;
- Create feature webpages within the website as required, including calendar of events, whatís new, quick links, FAQs, etc. as well as flash player/animation for photo and video uploads and visitor counter;
- Provide technical support for initial administration and updating of the website.
- Consultation with designated staff for initial assessment of consultancy needs and to discuss design ideas;
- Development and submission of a consultancy work plan;
- Collation of information and materials for designing the websites;
- Development and design of the websites: two sample designs per project is required;
- Presentation of designs for reviews, comments and additional information;
- Modification of designs based on suggestions by the reviewers and creation of additional webpages and interactive functions;
- Presentation of modified designs for final approval by UNODC;
- Any other amendments to the designs;
- Launch of website;
- Training of staff in website administration and update;
- Limited time support for initial administration and update.
Expected tangible and measurable outputs:
- Three websites creatively and innovatively designed and launched, user friendly and easy to navigate and update;
- Training of staff in website administration and update;
- Limited time initial technical support for website administration and update.
Duration of consultancy:
- The consultancy is designed to be executed within thirty (30) working days from June to November, 2015.
- Successful candidate will be remunerated in an agreed ratio of about four (4) instalments tied to different deliverables as will be stated in the contract.
Criteria to evaluate the consultantís performance:
- Substantive and technical quality of the websites;
- Timeliness of submission of all outputs/deliverables;
- Acceptance of the required outputs by UNODC.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Highest standard of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Excellent understanding of organisational issues;
- Commitment to professionalism;
- In-depth and extensive technical knowledge of web design and the use of web design tools such as HTML5, CSS, JS, Java and Google Analytics, Drupal, and relevant software applications;
- Ability to visualize creative and innovative designs for websites and presentations;
- Ability to analyze project needs and translate them into creative web solutions;
- Ability to create web banners and flash animations;
- Advanced graphic design skills;
- Exceptional artistic and aesthetic skills with a good sense of colours, visualizations, designs and layouts;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to pay attention to details;
- Commitment to quality;
- Commitment to deadlines;
- Objectivity, honesty and fairness;
- Logic and ability to operate systematically;
- Excellent oral and writing communication skills;
- Timely and accurate submission of reports and other required documents;
- Substantive and linguistic quality of documents prepared;
- Commitment to confidentiality of the assignment and handing over of products and documents paid for by UNODC used in the delivery of consultancy outputs.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelorís degree or equivalent in computer science, information technology or any relevant field, plus certification or advanced training in web design, web management and application
- At least five years practical and active experience in website development and design;
- Knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate will be an advantage.
- Fluency in English;
- Working knowledge of some major Nigeria Languages is an advantage.
- The consultant will ensure that stakeholders are shielded from needless risk of harm or embarrassment and proceed with their willing and informed cooperation;
- The consultant should maintain objectivity and exercise professional integrity in the conduct of the assessment and all related activities;
- UNODC retains the proprietary rights to any information collected or produced from the consultancy.