United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), Nigeria is supporting the Government of Nigeria to strengthen prevention of and response all forms of violence against children. In particular, assistance will be provided to strengthen the child protection system, including through modelling the system in four States, in order to demonstrate the impact of a well-functioning child protection system, to develop a common model for operationalizing the Child Rights Act at State level and to develop standardized tools, including regulations, working protocols and training manuals to govern the system.
If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Education Specialist, Early Child Development Specialist
VN No: VN-NGR-14 May 2015-39
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term - 2 Years
Purpose of the Post
- To address issues of early childhood development, stimulation and learning.
- The huge numbers of children out of school in Nigeria especially in the northern part of Nigeria and parts of the southern part have been attributed to late entries in school.
- Only about half of the children expected to enter Early Childhood Development (ECD) are actually enrolled in ECD centres.
- This has led to poor learning outcomes, with low levels of reading, especially at the early years of schooling.
- Working with the Federal Ministry of Education and its relevant parastatals, the holder of this job will focus on Early Childhood Care Education concept development, provision of enlarged technical support for strategic and policy direction: support to strategies development, generation and analysis of community level data to inform intervention and evidence-based policy to enrich advocacy for increased support to Early Childhood Care Education, in collaboration with Field Office teams and other stake holders that support the delivery of Early childhood care education programmes.
- Specifically-The incumbent of the post will provide technical support for effective programming and facilitate the development of desired policy change in Early Childhood Care education programmes.
- Support Programme planning, implementation, monitoring & evaluation of quality early childhood care Education programme;
- Support the development of policy frameworks and advocacy at different programme implementation arena; and
- Ensure effective management qnd coordination of Partners for quality delivery of expected results.
Qualifications and Competencies Required
- Advanced university degree in one or more of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education; Primary Education, or a Social Sciences fields relevant to international development assistance.
- Five years of progressively professional work experience at national and international levels in field programme relevant to Education programme.
- Experience in national level development assistant is an asset.
- Experience with addressing gender disparities and asset.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF Education programme.
- Advanced Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, and/or related fields. ..
- Gender and diversity awareness
- Leadership in identifying, encouraging and mentoring capable women.
- Knowledge of the global commitment on aid effectiveness, including the paris declaration on Aid Effectiveness, the Accra Agenda for Action as well as knowledge of the Global Programme partnership (GPPs)
- Knowledge of theories and practices in: Programme/project management in Education, Monitoring and Evaluation, Training and Capacity Development in Education, Alternative Basic Education, Curriculum Development and Knowledge Management.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should submit their application, accompanied by an updated CV in English and a completed United Nations Personal History Form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Here to Download the United Nations Personal History Form