United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), Nigeria is supporting the Government of Nigeria to strengthen prevention of and response all forms of violence against children. In particular, assistance will be provided to strengthen the child protection system, including through modelling the system in four States, in order to demonstrate the impact of a well-functioning child protection system, to develop a common model for operationalizing the Child Rights Act at State level and to develop standardized tools, including regulations, working protocols and training manuals to govern the system.
If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Communication Consultants for Measles Campaign
VN No: VN-NGR-44-2015
Type of Appointment: Special Service Agreement (SSA) for 4 months
Purpose of the Consultancy
- To provide technical support and coordination to state, LGA and ward communication/social mobilisation teams to develop and implement social mobilization strategies for the campaign aiming to achieve results in the short term and in close coordination with the partners in immunisation activities.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
- Coordinate with state teams on planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the measles campaign activities, especially the advocacy and social communication and support targeted social mobiliasation activities while ensuring intensified actions at state, LGA and community levels with a special emphasis on over comming refusal of vaccination by building trust in the safety and improving its acceptance.
- Identify constraints, challenges and opportunities for programme delivery with state teams and state communication and social mobilization working groups.
- Monitor UNICEF funding activities in the state related to advocacy, social mobilization for the campaign.
- Establish and maintain coordination with the work of other partners in the assigned states.
- Provide technical guidance in the design, preparation and use of targeted communication materials in appropriate languages for government frontline health workers/media networks, traditional and religious opinion leaders, village development/community groups and households.
- Strengthen massive media campaign
- Support assigned state to develop community communication packages for the campaign activities and inter sectorial programme for use at state level.
- Support state governments and state teams to prepare micro plans and make other arrangements to ensure good quality campaign.
- Mobilize support for the campaign through advocacy, training and awareness building programme targeting a variety of groups to include state government, media, tradition leaders, religious leaders and community networks.
- Provide technical support in facilitating state, LGA and ward communication/ Social mobilization, working group and committees and ensure holding of committee meetings.
- Monitor and evaluate measles campaign communication implementation activities regularly and undertake field visits, on the basis of these to identify problems and propose remedial actions.
- Identify alternative courses of action to accelerate/improve service delivery.
- Participate in the preparation of all programme reports required by the state, share information regularly with the chief of C4D, other members of C4D section and field offices.
- Undertake other tasks related to communication that might be required by the chief of C4D section.
Qualifications and Specialised Knowledge/Experience Required
- Bachelors Degree and related technical field in Communication, Journalism, Public/External Relations, Public Affairs or Corporate Communications.
- At least 5 years progressive responsible professional work experience at state and national levels in programme planning, management, monitoring and evaluation in immunization programmes.
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Fluency in English is desirable.
- Knowledge of local working language of the duty station is an asset.
- Experience in social mobilization and communication immunization campaign, IEC materials development, training and negotiation skills and team building.
Basic Competencies include:
- Current knowledge of development issues, strategies as well as programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation
- Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impact knowledge and teach skills.
- Managerial and supervisory skills
- Good analytical, negotiation, communication and advocacy skills
- Computer skills including internet navigation and various office application
- Demonstration of ability to work in a multi-cultural environmental and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should submit their application, accompanied by an updated CV in English and a completed United Nations Personal History Form to: email@example.com
Click Here to Download the United Nations Personal History Form