Airtel Nigeria (Airtel Networks Limited), a leading mobile telecommunication services provider in Nigeria and a member of Airtel Africa Group, is committed to providing innovative, exciting, affordable and quality mobile services to Nigerians, giving them the freedom to communicate, rise above their daily challenges and drive economic and social development. The company made history on August 5, 2001 by becoming the first telecoms operator to launch commercial GSM services in Nigeria and has scored a series of many "firsts" in the highly competitive Nigerian telecommunications market including the first to introduce toll-free 24-hour customer care; first to launch service in all the six geo-political zones in the country; first to introduce affordable recharge denominations; first to introduce monthly free SMS and first to introduce monthly airtime bonus.
A truly innovative company, Airtel has showed resilience, charting new paths in meeting the demands and needs of its esteemed stakeholders and enhancing distribution as well as providing affordable services to empower more Nigerians.
In Nigeria, Airtel is working tirelessly to live up to an ambitious vision of being the most loved brand in the daily lives of Nigerians as it offers a superior brand experience and a portfolio of innovative products & services ranging from exciting voice solutions to inventive data packages and mobile broadband.
Manager, Packet Core Operation
Support Packet Core Network operational activities in Airtel Nigeria Network and ensure all Mobile data related faults are resolved within defined time frame and ensure network approved KPIs are assured.
Perform regular data configuration Audit, performance monitoring and adherence to operational processes and guidelines.
Identify gray areas and provide necessary initiative that will restore quality and availability. Ensure all related traffic KPIs are within threshold.
- To ensure network availability KPIs for Mobile Packet Core network as per agreed SLAs. Vigilance on all network outages, their timely closure through follow-up with all stake holders & management escalations.
- Follow up with MS and other depts. IT, RA, CS & PS Engineering for all ongoing and pending operational issues.
- Review different proposals from design/support channels related to Packet Core domain.
- Proactive and Reactive Monitoring of the Packet Core network and provide support to transported services.
- Respond to emergency cases involving Packet Core nodes
- Handle Mobile data solutions change requests as per Business requirements on Packet Core Nodes and ensure its proper implementation (Corporate APNs, Mobile data packages, Content providers integration).
- Provide necessary analysis on Packet Core network nodes performance i.e. capacity, processor load, signaling capacity, redundancy, throughput, speed etc…
- Network node and connectivity Documentation to be kept up to date
- Define and set in place with the performance team the main KPI to follow the daily Packet Core performances.
- Provide Key inputs as feedback into Packet Core Planning
- Overall coordination of approved field Activities
- Monitoring and Optimization of Packet Core nodes and Services, including BlackBerry, GRX and 3PP Data services.
- Ensure GRPS and data roaming availability and support in resolving data roaming issue within the agreed SLA time.
- Ensure comprehensive investigation and in-dept analysis on all repetitive faults in order to proffer appropriate solution.
- Identify and Liaise with internal customers (e.g. Network Performance, Planning, Customer service, Marketing and regulatory Department etc.) and ensure that all packet core quality related faults are cleared in the predefined times.
- Ensure regular network audit is performed and no inconsistency in data configuration across all network elements.
- Identify root cause of faults and offer effective long term solutions within critical time frames
- Obtain and review Emergency/Monthly/weekly reports
- Collate weekly outages and service report.
- Measure KPIs of packet core networks and report variance.
- Monitor SLAs with packet core solution providers
- Enforce SLA where necessary to ensure Airtel interest is not jeopardize at all times
Desired Skills and Experience
Educational Qualifications and Functional / Technical Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or HND in Engineering or any related applied science field.
- Have in depth experience with Ericsson Packet Core solutions, including Ericsson EPG, GGSN, SGSN, SASN, SAPC, DNS, and RADIUS.
- IP routing and switching knowledge is an asset.
- BSS knowledge, including BSC, RNC, Node B, BTS and their related data interfaces.
- Unix Systems Administration competence
- Knowledge in Juniper, Smart Edge routers including hands-on experience.
- Minimum of 7 years in Packet Core Operations, Support and project management.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Knowledge of future generation technologies.
- Good Team spirit.
- Action oriented.
- Attention to details.
- Personally motivated.
- Proactive spirit.
- Getting it right the first time.