Centurion LLP is a leading African Corporate Commercial law firm providing strategic legal advice to enable corporations and governments to achieve their commercial objectives and manage legal risk in compliance with applicable laws.
Centurion is known for our capabilities in energy finance, taxation, business transactions, Lobbying and Ohada business laws.
International Oil and Gas Lawyer
This position is located in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea, Africa. Relocation to Malabo is a must.
This position has been created to strengthen and support our growing Africa corporate, oil and gas and mining practice. It is a dynamic opportunity for a Corporate Commercial lawyer to support a leading Energy firm in Africa.
The ideal candidate would have extensive legal practice experience, a strong track record. Work will be performed in Equatorial Guinea, Angola, South Africa and internationally.
Centurion LLP is unique in being able to offer the successful candidate hands-on experience of both local and international work. We have strong growth plans for the firm for the next two years and so it is an exciting time for an experienced, self-starting Corporate Commercial lawyer to join the firm and contribute to our expansion.
We welcome direct applications. Please send your applications directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
We will close the role should we receive a sufficient number of applications so please apply at your earliest opportunity.
- Experience in the energy industry; experience and knowledge of the international upstream sector is a plus.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills; solid computer skills and excellent communication skills, with an emphasis on clear and precise writing.
- Strong self-starter, energetic team player with proven ability to effectively collaborate with colleagues across a complex organization and with all levels of management.
- “Out-of-the box” legal thinker with ability to devise legal solutions to unique fact situations.
- Commercial acumen: able to propose value/legal solutions; able to distinguish and prioritize risks and propose proportional mitigation strategies.
- Project management and organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects with varying deadlines and priorities.
- Knowledge of anti-corruption laws and regulations, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (the “FCPA”) and the U.K. Bribery Act.
- Foreign language skills (French, Portuguese or Spanish), while not required would be a plus.
The successful candidate will perform a broad multi-functional role as a member of our firm’s International Energy Practice, including, but not limited to:
- International Upstream Oil & Gas Transactions and Operations: Provide advice to Centurion’s clients (senior management, commercial managers and multidisciplinary project team members) on a wide variety of upstream transactional matters in connection with upstream international petroleum and gas exploration, development and operations projects in Africa. Specific responsibilities include structuring, document and negotiate transactions including:
- host government arrangements (production sharing agreements and unitizations);
- corporate/asset acquisitions/divestitures
- farm-ins/farm outs, joint bidding agreements;
- joint/unit operating agreements;
- lifting agreements;
- letters of intent;
- shareholder agreements; and
- employment agreements, consulting contracts and secondments.
- Anti-corruption Compliance : Counsel, train and advise clients on anti-corruption compliance issues arising under the FCPA, UK Bribery Act and other applicable local laws. Activities include:
- review and approval of requests for charitable contributions, gifts and expenditures;
- drafting and negotiation of anti-corruption compliance clauses;
- delivery interactive anti-corruption compliance training to U.S. based international employees and to local offices and vendors;
- oversight of anti-corruption due diligence investigations of prospective vendors/existing vendors; and
- design and oversight of vendor anti-corruption compliance remediation plans.
- International Arbitration/Disputes : Counsel clients in connection with co-venture party disputes and other international disputes that impact or may impact asset development.
- International Geophysical Data Transactions . Counsel clients in connection with a wide variety of geophysical data transactions relating to international development and operations projects including acquisition of proprietary (including offshore 2D and 3D data) and multi-client geophysical/seismic data, service agreements for processing/reprocessing and transfer agreements. Structure and document master license/processing services agreements, geophysical data licenses and offshore marine acquisition agreements.
Desired Skills and Experience
- LLB or LLM or JD
- Must be an admitted Attorney.
- Spanish or French is a plus
- At least 2-4 years of experience (ideally within different legal disciplines) with a proven track record in contract negotiation and drafting.
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel; and
- Proven track record of adding value to an organisation through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties.
- Have extensive experience in Legal and Commercial aspects of International Contracts and International Corporate Framework.