|Jun 03, 2015|
|Monitoring & Evaluation Officer At Research Assistant At The International Institute Of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)|
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium.We thank you for your interest in IITA and invite you to explore many exciting and diverse career opportunities in a work environment that enables you to be the best you can, advancing your professional and personal growth in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (Ref. IITA-HR-NRS2015/029)
Position: Background and Responsibilities
• The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) officer will work in direct liaison
with the other centers (IITA and ICRISAT) M & E officers, AfDB contract
staff, and will report to the AfricaRice Regional Representative through the
rice commodity specialist. The M & E officer will be responsible for the
development and application of appropriate M & E methods and tools for all
activities of the ATASP-1 project. He/she shall coordinate the process of data
collection, analyses, report writing and gathering of information necessary for
ascertaining the attainment of the project objectives. He/she will coordinate
M&E activities closely with the AfricaRice M&E expert based at AfricaRice
HQ in terms of methodology to ensure coherence of approaches across
AfricaRice and across the project.
• S/he will undertake the following functions:
Information Collection and Analyses
• Explore and gather information from various sources including participatory
field exercises, field surveys and interviews, project documents, Reports of
National Bureau of statistics (NBS), National Planning Commission (NPC),
AfDB official reports, FAO and World Bank reports on Nigeria Economic
and Agricultural sectors.
• Develop and manage project database in a manner that will be easily
retrievable by staff and partners. These shall include the baseline and all
subsequent data or information generated through project implementation
economic and statistical analysis of the rice commodity value chain.
• In collaboration with other project staff, establish relevant indicators
including local criteria and indicators for the monitoring and evaluation of
Rice Value Chain Development and Socio-Organizational improvements in
• Generate relevant data in close collaboration with other project staff like
the Agronomist, Seed Systems Specialist and Rice Commodity Specialist on
the agronomic, socio-economic, cultural and institutional aspects of rice
value chain development in the target Rice Hubs. Collate and analyse data/
information for annual and periodic assessment of AfricaRice-ATAPs
Monitoring and Training
• Plan and implement activities related to the monitoring of project activities
based on pre-established indicators at household, groups and field levels in
all project areas.
• Plan and organize meetings and fora for dialogue that results in information
gathering and monitoring with farmers and other rice sector stakeholders.
• Prepare monitoring schedules, action plans to track and follow-up all input
data/ information as well as ensure the integration of all data.
• Build capacity for project staff involved in M & E data collection.
Project Evaluation and Training
• Supervise as may be required in conjunction with engaged consultants and
the AfDB project task officer, field surveys on aspects of project outcomes.
• Draw important lessons from project implementation and organize annual
M & E review meetings with leaders of farmer groups, district and other
project implementation team.
Report and Narratives Writing
• Undertake periodic reporting on M&E of the project in accordance with
established reporting format, schedules and periodicity for project
management and donors’ interest.
• Write monitoring reports for use of project implementation team and
donors. Review recommendations of the Annual Program Review (APR),
identify needs and define actions to address bottlenecks and problems in
Feedback and Accountability
• Make periodic reports to the project managers as maybe required for
program documentation and reporting to partners.
• Contribute to AfricaRice periodic and annual planning process by furnishing
timely information on the M & E aspects of the ATASP-1 project. Coordinate
activities closely with the AfricaRice M&E expert in terms of methodology
to ensure coherence of approaches across AfricaRice and across the project.
• Perform any other function as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualification and Experience
M.Sc. in Social Science, Agricultural Economics, Statistics, or related
discipline. Specialized post graduate training in project management/M&E
with minimum of 5 years working experience in bilateral or multilateral
donor-funded programs with at least 3 years of specific responsibility as
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions
in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application:
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with
their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three
professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or
applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package to IITA
Year of Experience