The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The Energy, Environment and Climate Change Department (ONEC) assists Country Programs/ Departments to manage Bank Group energy operations in Regional Member Countries (RMCs). Climate change, green growth, environmental and social issues are addressed by incorporating them into Bank Group supported operations and giving them the visibility required. ONEC includes two energy divisions and a third division which is responsible for environment, social and climate change issues (ONEC.3). ONEC.3 is also responsible for implementing the Bank’s environmental/social policies procedures, and guidelines, including review/monitoring of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIA), Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMP), Strategic Environmental and Social Assessments (SESA), Environmental and Social Management Frameworks (ESMF) and Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) documents, and requesting validation of project’s environmental and social categorization and submission of ESIA, ESMP, ESMF and RAP summaries for clearance by the Bank’s Environmental and Social Safeguards unit (ORQR.3); and ensuring compliance with Bank policy on disclosure.
ONEC.3 is recruiting for a Secretary to provide assistance for a wide range of administrative and operational tasks, he/she will oversee the smooth operation of the offices’ support work and related systems by assuming responsibility for the organizational and coordination of work flow as well as reviewing, processing and executing a variety of resource management transactions. He/She will liaise with the Bank Group offices across Africa as well as with various services within the Bank’s headquarters and assure efficient communication and coordination activities.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Director and/or Division Manager, the incumbent will provide administrative support and secretarial services, and carry out the following duties:
- Devise and maintain efficient office systems;
- Organize and attend to multiple meetings, appointments, luncheons and events to ensure that responsible management is well prepared;
- Organize meetings on the basis of the Division Manager’s/Director’s schedule while preparing relevant documents and the necessary logistics and facilities;
- Track and follow up on documents, deal with faxes and general correspondence and briefs;
- Manage the flow of information by receiving, examining, sorting and monitoring the Division’s incoming and outgoing mail, taking into account the priority and urgency of the documents concerned; organize logical filing of this correspondence.;
- Handle incoming and outgoing telephone-calls;
- Establish and update the agenda and electronic mail address book; Drafting of mail and documents, in conformity with administrative instructions;
- Draft memoranda and acknowledgement letters to be submitted, along with their background documents, for the Division Manager’s/Director’s signature;
- Prepare minutes of meetings and briefs;
- Ensure the translation of documents;
- Prepare and administratively follow-up on the missions of the Division Manager/Director and staff of the Division (airline tickets, visas, hotel reservations, follow-up of per diem payments, transport reservation);
- Make necessary arrangements for visiting delegations;
- Provide general administrative support for the Department by liaising with the General Services and Procurement Department (CGSP) in respect of office accommodation, allocation of office furniture, equipment and supplies as allocated in the Department;
- Request for repair and maintenance works and follow-up to ensure that such works have been satisfactorily carried out;
- Initiate and prepare various administrative documents and forms, such as staff lists, staff absences (annual leave, home, leave, excused absence and maternity leave) as well as statistical data on staff, as required;
- Create and process expense reports in SAP;
- Be conversant with DACON application and procurement rules in regards to the hiring of consultants;
- Monitor and review expenses and bring issues related to administrative budget to the attention of management;
- Assist where applicable with the programming of operational activities by using the appropriate software.
- All other secretarial and administrative duties as required.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline preferably supplemented with courses in secretarial training/administration/office management, e.g. Pitmans, ‘Brevet de Technicien Supérieur’ (BTS) in secretarial studies, Diplôme Universitaire de Technologie (DUT), etc.
- A minimum of four (4) years of progressively relevant and practical experience, in an executive office (preferably gained with an international organization).
- Strong customer service skills, good organisational and planning skills, ability to multitask, attention to detail and ability to work with a diverse workforce.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Excellent use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SAP).
- Strong typing skills.
- Excellent sense of initiative, confidentiality, enthusiasm, team spirit.