The International Rescue Committee has been in Nigeria since October 2012 and came in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRCís Emergency Response Team, with local partner, Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication (CISCOPE), implemented projects to support food security, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH in Kogi State. Beginning of January 2014, IRC shifted geographical location to the North East, in Adamawa state to provide humanitarian response to the conflict-affected populations. In the North East, IRC has three operational offices: Yola and Mubi field offices in Adamawa state and Maiduguri field office in Borno state-with the latter office opened in October 2015. In both states, IRC is providing humanitarian support to internally displaced populations hosted in IDP camps, camp like settings, host communities and returnee populations.
The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectorial interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Womenís Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs. Currently, the IRC is expanding programs in Borno state to address the needs of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and host communities in recently liberated LGAs.
Senior Grants Coordinator
Requisition ID: req3274
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Scope of Work
- The Senior Grants Coordinator (SGC) will be directly supervised by the Deputy Director for Programs (DDP).
- The position is based in Abuja, Nigeria with 50% travel to other IRC field sites in the North East.
- S/he will be central to ensuring coordination and quality of all grants matters for the country program, working together with the DDP to drive the country programs business development strategy, and directly supervising the Grants Managers and Partnerships Manager.
- S/he will work to increase visibility of both the humanitarian context in the NE as well as IRC Nigeria profiling.
- The SGC will work collaboratively with the IRCís senior management team, Senior Program Coordinator, the technical coordinators, operations team, and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) team.
- Together with the DDP, lead the development process of a comprehensive and coherent business development strategy and help prioritize approaches to donors for the Country Program.
- Research and analyze the changing donor environment and strategies and advise on effective influencing of donors, linking in with affiliate HQ (donor leads) as appropriate.
- Oversee the delivery of the grants and partnerships commitments in the implementation of the IRC Nigeria 2020 Strategic Action Plan (SAP).
- In coordination with the DDP, oversee the grants unit development of concept notes and proposals (including program design meetings) to ensure quality and alignment with both internal and donor standards and compliance.
- Oversee coordination across departments and with relevant HQ units in relation to proposal development and project revisions and donor reporting.
- Conduct final quality control reviews of all proposal packages assembled by the Grants Managers.
- Lead on proposal development as needed.
Grants and Partnerships Management:
- Ensure that grants are implemented in compliance with IRC and relevant donor regulations.
- Ensure uniform and effective systems are in place and utilized for proposal development, information management, and grant management (including reporting, implementation monitoring and tracking, and filing) across the Grants Unit.
- Monitor and support the use of grant management tools such as FM01, Budget vs. Actual (BvA), and OTIS for the proper monitoring and the successful, compliant implementation of programs and early warning in case of obstacles or challenges.
- Play a key role in Grant Opening and Closing Meetings, as well as monthly/regular grants management meetings, which include representation from each unit (finance, programs, and logistics) and ensure proper follow up of issues raised.
- Monitor and supervise all external reporting to ensure timely delivery of high-quality reports which meet donor and IRC requirements.
- Lead on report drafting as needed.
- Review donor agreements and coordinate their review with the relevant IRC HQ office.
- Support IRC Nigeriaís strategic approach to partnerships and ensure that partnership and sub-grant related administrative processes and procedures are consistently implemented throughout the program, including pre-award compliance checks, agreements, and disbursements and reporting.
- Support Grants Managers and Partnership Manager to ensure ensuring HQ staff are kept informed of important issues affecting the country programís portfolio and ensure that IRC business practices are rolled out to Nigeria staff.
- Work with program sector leads to develop and produce IRC information materials such factsheets, program updates, emergency situation reports, newsletters, contributions to global IRC news bulletin, and annual and sector reviews.
- Facilitate development of success stories for reporting and lessons learned to inform project design
- Oversee knowledge management of all communications related to programs/donors and ensure communication and visibility requirements are met.
- Work with the DDP to coordinate any donor visits and facilitate any reasonable requests from funding affiliates and governing bodies
Staff Management and Capacity Building:
- Supervise Grants Managers and Partnership Manager and provide on-the-job training. Discuss job expectations, set objectives, and provide appropriate and timely feedback regarding performance.
- Develop a deep understanding of relevant donor policies, regulations and procedures and train other country team members in these areas.
- Ensure staff from Grants, Programs and Operations departments, as well as staff from any sub-partners, receive trainings and capacity building to enable them fulfill their responsibilities with regard to proposal development, grant management, and donor reporting and compliance.
- Master's degree or equivalent in International Affairs, Communications, Development or related subject
- At least four years of experience working in project and/or grants management and proposal/business development/design
- Excellent oral and written reporting skills and demonstrated ability to write and edit reports and proposals and to meet required deadlines
- Working knowledge of budget development and management
- Experience conducting assessments, preferably using participatory approaches
- Excellent inter-personal, cultural, and diplomatic skills
- Ability to work in unstable security environments
- Prior knowledge of donor regulations (UN, SIDA, USAID/OFDA, Europe Aid, USIAD/FFP, DFID, SV, SDC and ECHO)
- Fluent written and spoken English required
- International experience with preference in Africa
- Previous successful experience developing projects and writing proposals and reports for public donors
- Good communicator with strong organizational, time management, and analytical skills
- Strong capacity to mentor and build capacity of staff
- Ability to juggle competing priorities, meet demanding deadlines, and work under pressure in unstable security environments
- Strong computer skills
- IRC experience is an asset.
Specific Security Situation/Housing:
- The Senior Grants Coordinator will be based in Abuja, Nigeria with travel throughout the country.
- The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE with the security level at 4 (red). The candidate should be prepared to work in insecure environments. This is a non-accompanied position.
- The Senior Grants Coordinator will live in shared housing.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct.
- These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.