The objective of the West Africa Trade and Investment Activity is to improve private sector competitiveness with a focus on increasing the agricultural productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers in Nigeria, and promoting West Africaís regional and international trade. The Activity comprises of three main components: (i) design of a Competitiveness Fund for private sector partnerships; (ii) administration of the Competitiveness Fund to develop private sector partnerships and provide grants; and (iii) technical assistance (TA) that directly supports, coordinates, and organizes qualifying recipients (i.e., partners and grantees) to achieve USAIDís trade and food security objectives. The Trade Hub will contribute to both USAID/Nigeriaís Feed the Future objectives related to increasing the agricultural competitiveness of smallholder farmers in Nigeria as well as USAID/West Africaís objective to increase broad-based growth and resilience.
Finance & Investment Partnership Manager
About the Job:
Creative Associates is seeking a long-term Finance & Investment Partnership Manager (F&P Manager) for the USAID-Trade & Investment Hub project to support public private partnerships (PPP) investment projects in the Nigerian agricultural sector. The FP Manager will take a lead role and oversee the implementation of all activities relevant to the PPP process cycle, including building partnerships with financial institutions, both with banks and non-traditional institutions, such as private equity, venture capital, and impact investors, completing preliminary analysis of potential projects, conducting and supporting due diligence efforts (technical, financial, and legal), negotiation, financial closings, and to monitoring & evaluation, after start of development. As lead of the investment partnership activity in Nigeria, the manager will coordinate and stimulate interaction, and provide leadership in close collaboration with the PPP Director, the Grants team, and the financial management team.
Specifically, the Finance and Investment Partnership Manager will work to build and maintain solid relationships with financial institutions and private businesses, including agribusinesses to increase access to finance in the agricultural sector.
This role reports to the Public Private Partnership Director.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with financial institutions
- Develop vetting form to assess credit worthiness of potential Fund applicants;
- Facilitate relationships between financial institutions and investors with value chain actors, such as agro-businesses to enhance the Trade & Investment Hubís partners capabilities in meeting the 1:1 matching requirement.
- Engage with financial institutions (banks, private equity, or other external financial actors/vehicle) to facilitate greater access to financing to Trade Hubís potential grantees in meeting the matching grant requirement.
- Organize and facilitate discussions with partner financial institutions to familiarize them with different types of agricultural sector lending and financing opportunities and raise their interest in lending and investing in SMEs in the ag sector.
- Develops comprehensive mappings of key actors in the financial sectors already operating or in the process of developing financial products for the agricultural sector.
- Complete preliminary analysis, investment memos for projects and partners, and provide recommendations for shortlisting.
- Conduct a training needs assessment for financial partners at project outset
- Manage and participate in internal risk reviews and presentations. Conducts proposal meetings, assigns tasks and sets deadlines, tracks progress, communicates and compiles information from partners and internal project departments and ensure that projectís technical and contractual requirements and deadlines are met.
- Liaise with both public and private partners that have committed support to the project and innovative win-win partnerships.
- Master's degree in business, finance, economics, or related field, relevant experience, preferably in a financial institution. Experience in programs related to agricultural activities desired.
- Prior banking experience as loan officer evaluating loan portfolios and presenting lender file to bank credit committee for lending decisions is preferred
- Experience engaging private sector partners and forging public-private partnerships in Nigeria
- Prior experience in senior management positions, preferably for a program of comparable complexity.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with institutional and private sector partners and stakeholders, including the national government.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including ability to produce high-quality project reports and deliver high level presentations to clients and partners.
- Fluency in English required and other local languages desired.
- Must be authorized to work in Nigeria
- Self-starter with ability to multi-task and efficiently manage time and workload.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and in a matrix project organization.
- Strong coordination skills, business development skills and excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Proven commercial skills with a high level of energy and a commitment to professional excellence.
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis within Nigeria.