The Institute of Science and Technology Yenagoa (IST Yenagoa) is a new interdisciplinary research-led institute dedicated to applied research and education in science and technology, located in Yenagoa, Bayelsa Sate, Nigeria. The Institute’s objective is to empower our generation and make a contribution to the nation to help uplift the progress in business, science, technology and to undertake cutting-edge research that will inform policy and development in Nigeria.
The college is seeking a future-oriented leader who can be a specific supplier of conditions in meeting the society’s challenges within welfare, education, and technology. As Rector at the Institute, he will have the opportunity to be head of all the colleges and programs and would be expected to build the institute from ground up with the task of designing and implementing short term, medium term and long term goals. He will be given scope of action to lead a knowledge institution that offers study programs that are very much in demand in Nigeria and the African market.
The Rector is the head of the Institute with responsibility for the overall activities, in accordance with the framework and requirements appointed by the Board. Rector reports to the Institute Board of Directors/Governing Council.
Tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Positioning Institute of science and Technology nationally and internationally.
- Ensuring that the institution reaches its strategic goals for meeting future challenges.
- Ensuring that the institute is visible and coherent in the public debate and sets the agenda for research in Nigeria.
- Building networks with central partners in the educational sector, business and industry, and public authorities.
- Being an inspiration and driving force that manages change processes, strategic development and implementation, and financial control.
- Developing a positive and inclusive organizational culture and a good working environment for both proposed students, fellows, researchers and staff.
- Developing a professional and quality-oriented management throughout the organization.
- Ensuring that resources and real property are allocated in accordance with decisions made by the Board and that the total financial management is in accordance with legislation and conditions set by the Ministry.
- Raise fund and start the construction of the permanent site of the Institute in Yenagoa.
Desired Skills and Experience
The person appointed as Rector must have formal competence for appointment in an academic position (PhD Degree) at a university/university college and have first-hand experience from Institutes core proposed programs and activities: teaching, research, dissemination and innovation.
Furthermore, the person appointed must have:
- Experience as leader at a high level in complex knowledge organizations.
- Experience in managing change processes, strategic development and implementation.
- Good relational skills and ability to build networks.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English.
- Very good understanding of college administration.
- Good communicative skills for both external and internal communication.
- A motivating, distinct and result-oriented style of management.
- Substantial knowledge of and experience from the university/university college sector.
- Political understanding, including ability and willingness to market the institute, nationally and internationally.
Good remuneration, housing, transportation, and sponsored academic conferences worldwide.
- The position is a fixed contract term position of 5 years and renewable based on performance.
- Preference will be given to tenured University Professors who have served in capacities such as Dean or head of departments in their respective universities.
Library Research Analyst
Institute of Science and Technology, Yenagoa seek the services of a Library Research Analyst to work at the Institute. While the qualifications for the position has been laid below, applicant who has additional skills with basic Computer repair and installations will be a plus.
Employees in this class series function as professional library research analysts, completing or overseeing a variety of assignments in the Institution.
Responsibilities include not only research, report preparation, and various patron assistance activities. The employee performs a full range of professional library research analyst assignments in a full functioning capacity. Considerable independent judgment is used to make decisions in carrying out assignments that have significant impact on services or programs. Guidelines may be available, but require adaptation or interpretation to determine appropriate courses of action.
Coordinates collection, publication and distribution of library statistics and surveys. Develops databases and on-line statistical collection. Drafts articles and reports to present statistical data and analyses in various formats. Reviews, analyzes and resolves discrepancies in data and information transmissions. Reviews and suggests revisions to library processes and procedures affecting the provision of services to specialized patron groups. Provides logistical support in the management of books and other library materials. Develops a variety of ready reference materials in electronic and traditional formats for use by staff and patrons. Acts as liaison between the library and various external customers. Provides reader advisory services for special patron groups. Assists in the planning and presentation of workshops and conferences. Prepares and maintains procedural manuals related to the work. Maintains records and conducts correspondence related to the work. Performs related work as assigned. Additional Job Duties Library Research Analyst (Lead Worker) Oversees the work of professional staff by making and reviewing work assignments, establishing priorities, coordinating activities, and resolving related work problems..
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities NOTE: Some knowledge in the area listed is required at the entry level, developing knowledge is required at the intermediate level, and thorough knowledge is required at the advanced level. Knowledge of the principles and practices of research and analysis. Knowledge of the tools of management, such as procedural manuals, training materials, records and reports, and studies applicable in evaluating programs or services. Knowledge of the initiation, development, accomplishment, and evaluation of public programs or services. Ability to analyze and evaluate information from a variety of sources. Ability to construct and conduct surveys. Ability to prepare reports, maintain records, and conduct correspondence related to the work. Ability to communicate effectively with others. Ability to maintain favorable public relations Education Possession of a bachelor’s degree.
A bachelor’s degree is required with at least 3 years’ experience in a similar position.
Information Technology Specialist
A Public library and The Institute of Science and Technology, Yenagoa seek the services of an Information Technology Specialist.
This staff reports directly to the Director of the Institute. A majority of this person’s time will be spent responding to requests submitted via our online support ticket system, emails, phone calls, and in-person visits. Any time left over will be spent working on projects to help grow the organization’s technology infrastructure. This person will supervise all online examinations and address all correspondence.
SCOPE OF WORK
The IT Specialist is responsible for the day to day operational activities of help desk support, network administration, and systems.
- Support end-users with IT-related problems in a responsive and service oriented manner.
- Setup, management, and maintenance of IT-related equipment.
- Monitor backup jobs and ensure high level of completion success rate.
- Manage time and projects effectively.
- Help put processes in place to maintain a stable network environment.
- Training staff with IT related equipment.
- Assist the IT director with project work to grow the technology infrastructure of the organization.
- Assist with the troubleshooting, installation, and implementation of systems.
- Ensure data integrity with regard to our fixed asset inventories.
- Provide input and recommendations to the organization surrounding hardware and software technologies and how these technologies can assist the business being especially proactive with new technologies.
- Develop and monitor performance levels of software and hardware and evaluate, recommend, and propose alternative methods of information processing.
- Develop and maintain information architectures (data, application, network) ensuring the system is on-line daily.
- Maintain hardware and software maintenance agreements to ensure integrity of operations processes.
- Customer Service – demonstrate the ability to respond with a high degree of urgency to the needs & requests of others, internally and externally. Understand the impact of their work on others.
- Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in the workplace.
- Maintain constructive relationships and demonstrate respect for everyone contacted.
- Deal constructively with conflict and focus on the situation, issue or behavior and not on the person by diffusing situations before conflicts arise, resolving conflicts directly and actively promoting and gaining cooperation from others.
- Accurately provide and receive information in oral and written communications. Consistently provide ideas, opinions, or information in an articulate, professional way. Actively listen to others and demonstrate understanding of other points of view.
- Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions or priorities.
- Take the initiative to identify and act on problems and lead by example. Consistently make decisions that resolve problems.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Organized, thorough, and has great attention to detail
- Demonstrated working knowledge of hardware and networking basics
- Able to install, configure, troubleshoot and support Windows clients and servers
- Intermediate-Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite
- High level of analytical thinking to solve problems with an understanding of technology as well as an ability to ask the right questions and apply solutions to business problems.
- Effective oral, electronic and written communication with all levels of the organization using top notch customer service.
- Does well with minimal “hands on” training and can pick up new skills quickly and can “take the ball and run with it”
- Ability to multi-task and can handle frequent interruptions
- Can consistently follow protocol and instructions
- Can work independently with little management direction
- Document process, procedures, and results
- Fast and accurate keyboarding skills
- Passionate, optimistic, and has internal inspiration to get things done
- B.B.A. Management Information Systems or related degree
- 1-2 years in IT or Business Systems
- Experience with SQL Server, Dynamics-Nav, SalesForce.com, SharePoint
- .NET, AJAX, Cold Fusion, and/or Flash Development Experience.
- A Master degree is not required, but will be a plus.
- Ability to sit at a desk and work on a computer as needed
- Ability to lift and move computers and IT equipment for setup.
- Has a valid driver’s license, good driving record, and able to support remote locations.
Executive Personal Assistant to the President
Roles and Responsibilities
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the President including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the President’s schedule is followed and respected. Provides “gatekeeper” and “gateway” role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the President’s time and office.
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the President, with Board members, donors, Foundation staff, and others, on matters related to CEO’s programmatic initiatives.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the President, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the President’s office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Works closely and effectively with the President to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a “barometer,” having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the President updated.
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization, and manages a variety of special projects for the President, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the President’s ability to effectively lead the company.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on project to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Board Support and Liaison both to the Institute and the Library:
- Serves as the President’s administrative liaison to the Board of Directors of the Institutes and The Public Library.
- Assists board members with travel arrangements, lodging, and meal planning as needed.
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members • Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format. Senior Management Liaison.
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Executive Team including assisting in scheduling meetings and attending all meetings.
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of senior management team meetings and off-sites, and all staff meetings.
- Facilitates cross-divisional coordination of travel and outreach plans Communications, Partnerships, and Outreach.
- Ensures that the President’s bio is kept updated and responds to requests for materials regarding the President and the organization in general.
- Edits and completes first drafts for written communications to external stake holders Strategic Initiatives.
- Works with the Strategic Initiatives team in coordinating the President’s outreach Activities.
- Follows up on contacts made by the President and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships.
- Edits all, and creates acknowledgement letters from the President to donors
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Emotional maturity .
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective Independently.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong work tenure: 5 years or more experience supporting Executives, preferably in a highly corporate organization or educational Institute.
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership, development, and fundraising • Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and Social.
- Successful candidate should be skilled enough to take independent decisions that affects the organization acting in some cases as a legal representative of the President.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Office Manager is responsible organizing and coordinating office operations and procedures in order to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
The Office Manager reports to the President and is responsible for providing office management services to the Organization. This includes maintaining office services and efficiency, supervising office staff and maintaining office records.
- Maintain Office Services
- Design and implement office policies
- Establish standards and procedures
- Organize office operations and procedures
- Supervise office staff
- Monitor and record long distance phone calls
- Prepare time sheets
- Control correspondences
- Review and approve supply requisitions
- Liaise with other agencies, organizations and groups
- Update organizational memberships
- Maintain office equipment
- Supervise Office Staff
- Assign and monitor clerical and secretarial functions
- Recruit and select office staff
- Orient and train employees
- Provide on the job and other training opportunities
- Supervise staff
- Evaluate staff performance
- Coaching and disciplining staff
- Maintain office records
- Design filing systems
- Ensure filing systems are maintained and up to date
- Define procedures for record retention
- Ensure protection and security of files and records
- Ensure effective transfer o files and records
- Transfer and dispose records according to retention schedules and policies
- Ensure personnel files are up to date and secure
- Maintain office efficiency
- Plan and implement office systems, layout and equipment procurement
- Maintain and replenish inventory
- Check stock to determine inventory levels
- Anticipate needed supplies
- Verify receipt of supply
- Perform other related duties as required
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- excellent interpersonal skills
- team building skills
- analytical and problem solving skills
- decision making skills
- effective verbal and listening communications skills
- attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- very effective organizational skills
- effective written communications skills
- The Office Manager will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain. The Office Manager will also have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
- (Conditions that may lead to mental or emotional fatigue)
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress.
- The incumbent must also deal with a wide variety of people on various issues.
- A Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent preferred.
- A Minimum of 3 years working experience at a managerial level required.
Our client requires the services of an Executive Assistant to report directly to the President of the Corporation.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the office
- Organizing and maintaining files and records
- Planning and scheduling meetings and appointments
- Managing projects and conducting research
- Preparing and editing correspondence, reports, and presentations
- Making travel and guest arrangements
- Providing quality customer service
- Working in a professional environment
- Skilled in Social Network and media management
- Skilled in basic Microsoft applications including word, spreadsheet, PowerPoint
- Website development and management
- Data Entry
Responsibilities may include screening calls; managing calendars; making travel, meeting and event arrangements; preparing reports and financial data; training and supervising other support staff; and customer relations. Requires strong computer and Internet research skills, flexibility, excellent interpersonal skills, project coordination experience, and the ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors. Sensitivity to confidential matters may be required.
Responsibilities include those described for office/facilities manager, but the position requires more extensive experience and management skills. Duties may include selecting office vendors and supervising purchasing processes, directing mailroom and maintenance staff, and coordinating regular building safety checks and ergonomics training for staff.
OTHER ASSOCIATED RESPONSIBILITIES:
Coordinates various office support services, including purchasing and facilities management. Requires strong communication skills and some accounting knowledge. May include supervision of office administrative staff. At some companies, this role may take on HR responsibilities.
Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years working experience in a similar position required.
Please send a maximum of three (3) page CV including a passport photo within two (2) weeks of this publication -