Girl Hub is a strategic collaboration between the Nike Foundation and the UK Department for International Development (DFID), based in the UK, currently operating in three African countries, and with plans to open in India and elsewhere. Some international travel will be required.
The Nike Foundation is a powerful agent for real change and poverty alleviation in the developing world. The Foundations' focus is on adolescent girls - its investments are centered on programmes and initiatives that enable young girls to realize their potential and transform their world, so unleashing a ripple effect of change. The work of the Nike Foundation is designed to get girls on the global agenda and drive resources to them; ensuring ideas become real solutions that deliver tangible and sustainable results.
In this way, the Nike Foundation fuels the girl effect (www.girleffect.org)- the unique potential of 250 million adolescent girls to end poverty for themselves and the world.
Girl Hub is looking for dedicated girls, who are passionate about contributing to Nigerian girls realising their potential:
Technology Enabled Girl Ambassador (TEGA)
Job Types: Contract (One year)
TEGA is a bespoke research network of girls aged 16 and above established in 2013 to help Girl Hub and its partners in research and insights gathering in a way that tells the stories of girls as has never been done. TEGA is Northern Nigeria's first, and to date, only youth, mobile-based peer-to-peer research network.
It is designed to enable us, and our like-minded partners to gain a safe, authentic insight into this hard-to-reach audience. This insight enables and catalyses accurately designed interventions, programs, assets, and services that meet the current needs of Northern Nigeria's most vulnerable girl.
TEGA currently comprises of 20 girls, each of whom research 4-6 vulnerable girls. Via modified mobile devices, we disseminate research tasks to her, She captures her findings via video and photo content, delivers them to us via an app.
The TEGA programme has been successfully piloted over 5 weeks. During this period, 20 TEGAs embraced their new roles with gusto and created over 1500 videos and 600 photos.
This collective body of content has given us the most comprehensive intimate and authentic insights of the Arewa (Northern) girl we have ever encountered.
Being a TEGA
Being a teenage girl in Nigeria is not always easy; being a hard to reach girls is even less easy. But TEGAs are our safest methodology to reaching girls and getting their stories to share with the world.
Could you be the next TEGA?
- TEGA are at the heart of our research
- No matter your background, you will need to be able to represent girls across Nigeria by amplifying their voices and sharing their stories to inspire, inform and entertain.
- As a TEGA you are giving a voice to Nigerian girls through engaging and delivering relevant insights and information using technology that includes videos, Emojis, photography and mobile.
- A TEGA embodies the spirit and values of an Arewa girl and is an inspiring, positive role model for girls.
- This is an incredible opportunity to become part of TEGA and be trained in mobile tech researching, to use text, video, photography on mobile to capture girls’ reality.
- The skills and experience you gain as being part of TEGA will be valuable in any career or path you choose to pursue in the future.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
As a TEGA, you will need to be fully committed to the role for one year. You will be required to:
- Generate and develop insights - you will be gathering stories by following leads shared by girls from districts across Kano state.
- Conduct interviews and liaise with girls, families and communities - you will work closely with the TEGA tech team, TEGA trainers to plan and coordinate field-interviews and reporting activities.
- Bring and contribute ideas and stories to editorial meetings and workshops.
- Identify and define the stories that are most important and representative of northern Nigerian girls
- Work closely with the GH team identify and reach the right girls for insights gathering
- Monitor target audience and changes in attitude towards girls' education in Kano state.
- Write basic reports and be able to present back to an adult audience.
- Don't worry, we don't expect you to be able to already have knowledge outlined in the above roles and responsibilities, you don't need to be a ready-made interviewer and storyteller. But what TEGA needs is for you to:
- Have a hunger, curiosity and enthusiasm for TEGA; be passionate about sharing girls' stories and about making a change for girls in Nigeria.
- Be able to work with a team of people and assist in group set-ups.
- Have the ability to interact with a diverse range of people.
- Be able to work independently to meet task deadlines and source content.
- Have a basic ability to read and write English.
- Have a good level of Hausa reading and writing ability.
- Have a passion for storytelling.
- Be over the age of 16.
- Live in Kano.
TEGA is Offering
- Foundation technology based research interview training.
- A certificate from an international certification agency
- An opportunity to represent girls' voices by gathering insights and sharing girls’ stories.
- This is not a paid position; you will be entitled to transport, meals and honorarium for tasks undertaken.
Interested and qualified candidates should send a cover letter including: your name, age, where you're from and why you want to work as TEGA. Along with this, tell us a story that you think is unique about a girl and can make the readers think of her differently
Your application can be in Hausa or English and must be one page long